Back To My Morning Routine

I'm a creature of habit, I actually enjoy routine.  This works to my benefit most of the time, but since getting back from a vacation in Colorado, I've had a tough time getting back into my early morning workouts.

My wife suggested we go swimming in the morning.  I think she knew that if I was responsible for getting the both of us to the gym for a workout that I wouldn't talk myself into going back to sleep.  As in most cases, she was right.

Woke up to my alarm at 2:30am.  Got up and was having breakfast by 3:30am.  It took several months to get my body used to eating at that time.  When I first started doing early morning runs I would go on an empty stomach because I couldn't that early. Now, I understand it is important to be  fueled for a workout.  I have trained my body to eat early. I tend to eat the same breakfast each morning.  First, because I really like it and second, it's easy to make.


Three eggs and six egg-whites along with oatmeal.  For the oatmeal I use 1/4 cup of steel cut oats (I like the texture better than rolled oats), 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin, 1/2 apple chopped, 2 tablespoons of crushed flax seed and a little cinnamon.  This 676 calorie breakfast is how I start most mornings and is the largest meal I'll eat all day.  It has 64 grams of protein and the complex carbs for the workout to follow.

This morning I got into the pool about 4:30am.  It's important to get there early, you would be surprised how many people are in the pool by 5.  Anna did laps next to my lane and took a few pictures when she was done. 




There was a time when I was considering training for a half Iron-Man, and I had done a lot of swimming.  The last few month,s however, my training focus has shifted to weight training.  Today, getting back in the pool was a good challenge.  I was a little rusty.  It took me a few laps to get my rhythm down, but I eventually got a mile done. 

It felt good to get back into my morning routine.  It really helps with my energy and making good eating decisions throughout the rest of the day. 

In future posts I will share some of the different workouts I do in the morning, with a little more detail.

Thanks for stopping by.





Comments

  1. It really is interesting what a difference getting a good workout in in the morning makes! Congrats on getting up and your mile swim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! I struggle with morning workouts, especially after a late tennis match or bowling the night before. I'd love to be more consistent with it though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts