What's in a name?

A few months ago I decided to start a blog.  I wanted to share my experiences over this past year in my fitness journey , as well meet and discuss related topics with others that are currently working on their fitness goals and those who haven't yet started and maybe just need a little motivation to begin.



Anyone that has spent any time in a weight room is probably familiar with the strength-training concept of "Time Under Tension" but if not that's alright, I didn't know about it when I stepped into the weight room either.  When I decided to start strength-training I was about as lost as anyone could be, but that's a story for another day.

Time Under Tension, basically comes down to the length of time a given muscle or muscles are under strain during a set, but it has another meaning to me.



It refers to the training philosophy I have adopted.  Putting the body under strain to cause positive changes.  Tension tends to be a word to describe stress in a negative way, and of course it can be that, but there is also a "positive-stress" that we put on our body when we work towards our fitness goals.  Running, swimming, and strength-training are all examples of a positive stress.

Early on in my training I focused on running.  After a time of consistent practice I really enjoyed it.  I loved pushing myself to go further or faster.  It gave me an objective progression in training.  The feeling of accomplishment every morning was addicting.  It seemed like I had much more energy to get me through the day.  I was hooked.



This feeling has carried over to all aspects of my training.  Conditioning sessions that leave me out of breath and strength training that left me sore.  This is the positive stress or "tension" that I pursue in my workouts.  Feel the burn, and chase that feeling!  This has become my motto, and what I strive for every time I step into the gym or onto the road.



I look forward to recapping the last year.  Looking at the highs and lows, and there were plenty of both, as well as my current training focus.





Please let me know what you think.  Your own experiences, and ideas.  So whether, you have questions or suggestions or some of both, I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

  1. Yay Gary! Glad to see you in the blogosphere and looking forward to reading about your journey and getting some tips from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Gary! So glad to see that you're blogging. You have some amazing training and nutrition insights to share!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts